This year, the MSF Urban Spaces Athens coordinating team, is adapting its activities to the new context by supporting the 11 communities of migrants and refugees in Athens, and parents and schools children in 5 schools of Athens, to cope with the new challenges caused by COVID-19 and the confinement measures.
To this end, the team is organizing its action in two pillars:
Support to refugee + migrant Communities:
- Support Fund Raising initiative taken by our partners in GRF through social media sharing
- Psychosocial advice/counseling to the community leaders, where needed
Digital toolkit to support to educators, children + parents A digital toolkit with several educational and leisure activities that can be used by educators, children and parents, has been developed. The content focuses on safety and well-being messages in relation to COVID-19 and on diversity and inclusion by raising awareness on the fate of migrants and refugees.
Urban Gardening (watch here)
- Aim: Joint leisure activity, environmental sensitization
- Target Group: Parents and children (primary school)
- Description: Three-minute video with steps on how to plant seeds available at home and make handicrafts with them
- The video is available in Greek and English
Interactive Games (play the games HERE)
- Aim: Learn more about COVID-19, get ideas on how to spend time during confinement measures, familiarize with diversity and existing inequalities
- Target group: Children – Adolescents
- Turn the wheel! Children turn the wheel to get some ideas on how to spend their time at home during COVID-19!
- Alphabet turns crazy! Word scrabble where children have to find words related to COVID-19 situation.
- If the whole world was 100 hundred people living together, what would happen? By turning the wheel children can see how the world would be divided in terms of wealth, access to basic needs (water, education, malnutrition), religions, (i.e. how many muslims, Christians, buddists etc). They familiarize with diversity and existing inequalities
Gallery walk in refugee camps all over the world (take the walk HERE)
- Aim: Diversity and inclusion, sensitization towards familiarizing with the refugee issue, empathy.
- Target group: Children and Adolescents + Educators (this activity can take place in the classroom also), Parents (children can go through the gallery and discuss with their parents).
- Description: Children can go through a gallery of photos from refugee camps all over the world and take several information on the reasons people left their homes, their living conditions etc. After the gallery walk, there is a set of questions to reflect on what they saw, what new they learnt, how they felt.
Short films (watch HERE)
- Aim: Diversity and inclusion, empathy.
- Target group: Adolescents + Educators (this activity can take place in the classroom also).
- Description: Three suggested short films (2 related to refugees, 1 about war ) followed by a set of questions to reflect on.
- Available in Greek and English.